Fussy eaters – born or bred?

Meal times chez Pebbles are like a war zone – “Eat this.” “No!” “Try that” “You can’t make me!”

Basically tea time (thank goodness he’s at school now so they have to deal with lunch) is a battle of wills with tears and tantrums instead of nice chats about everyone’s day.







I now take the easy option and just serve him up what I know he’ll eat whereas his sister will eat whatever we are eating which should be the norm.  No amount of bribery, cajoling, or grown up discussions have helped.  He just refuses to try anything that he doesn’t think he likes.  I hide a lot of vegetables in pesto so I do at least know he’s getting a varied diet however I just would like to be able to go to a restaurant and for him to eat more than pasta/pesto or bread.

Helpful friends say; “Have you tried no desert until he’s finished his mains?” – of course I have and do.  “Have you tried making faces with the food on his plate?” – yes, i’ve read all the helpful books too, yes.  “Have you tried, have you tried, have you tried….” YES YES YES and I just smile and take a deep breath.

So recently I was coming to my wits end again and as usual took to the internet to research for help and I came across this “A University College London study examined the eating habits of 5390 sets of twins and found that 78 per cent of fussiness is genetic and the other 22 per cent environmental.  Researchers say a child’s reluctance to try new foods is not necessarily the result of poor feeding practices, but can be partly attributed to genetics”.  

I don’t know about you but I’m going to take this as fact.  Master Pebbles is not fussy because of my bad parenting but instead due to genetics – and I think probably from his fathers genes 🙂